Public Financing of Health in India: The Way Forward
- Start date July, 2017
- Completion date June, 2020
- Sponsor Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Project leader Rathin Roy
- Other faculty Kavita Rao and other members of tax team, Mita Choudhury, Shruti Tripathi, Sudhanshu Kumar, Ranjan Kumar Mohanty
- Consultants/Other authors Sujatha Rao, Jay Dev Dubey, Bidisha Mondal, Arpita Chakraborty, Pallabi Gogoi, Swati Gupta
This research programme will undertake some of the groundwork required for suggesting an appropriate approach for public financing of health in 4 selected Indian States. The programme will be carried out in three stages. First, it will identify the resource contours within which health financing options will have to be built in the selected States. Secondly, it will analyse the existing nature of government spending on health in the four States, and review experiences with different approaches to public financing of health both in India and abroad. Thirdly, it will derive an understanding of the nature of health systems present in the selected States, and use the insights from the above analysis to outline appropriate policy choices for public financing of health in the four States.