- Email email@example.com
- Phone 26569303 Ext - 123
Mita Choudhury is an Associate Professor at the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy. She is a graduate in Engineering, with a Ph.D in Economics from the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai. Her recent research has focussed on issues related to health financing in India, within the broad ambit of research on issues related to human development. She has been associated with the background research for various government Committees on the health sector in recent years, and has been a member of some of the committees on allocation and expenditure constituted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. She has worked on health issues both at the Central and the State-level, and has contributions in the context of intergovernmental transfers for health. She has also authored a number of studies carried out for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, World Health Organization (India), Planning Commission and the UNDP.
Social sector financing, health economics, human development, intergovernmental transfers
- (2020), "Role of National Health Mission in Health Spending of States: Achievements and Issues", NIPFP Working Paper No. 317
- (2020), "Equity in Intra-State Distribution of Public Spending on Health: The Case of Bihar and Tamil Nadu", NIPFP Working Paper No. 315
- (2020), "Health Insurance in Private Hospitals: Implications for Implementation of Ayushman Bharat", Economic and Political weekly, Vol LV, No. 17, April 2020.
- (2019), "Analyzing Household Expenditure on Health from the 71st Round of Survey by the National Sample Survey Organization in India", Report submitted to the World Health Organization
- (2019), "Experiences with Government Sponsored Health Insurance Schemes in Indian States: A Fiscal Perspective", NIPFP Working Paper No. 283
Membership in committees and commissions
- (2018), Member, Expert Group to apprise 15th Finance Commission on the development in the health sector, and suggesting indicators to be used for measuring performance/ranking of States, constituted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- (2015), Member of the 4th Finance Commission for Union Territories, Government of India;
- (2015), Member, Expert Group on National Health Accounts for India, constituted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- (2015) Working Group on Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers for Health, set up by the Centre for Global development (CGD) and Accountability Initiative, Centre for Policy Research.
- (2014), Part-time Member, Fourth Finance Commission for the Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep, constituted by the Government of India.
- (2013), Member, Working Group on Urban Health Financing, Governance and Phasing, constituted by the Technical Resource Group on the Urban Health Mission, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- (2013), Member, Expert Group on Weight age Formulae for allocation of funds to the hilly states under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), set up by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- (2013), Member, Expert Advisory Group to advise the Health Financing Team at the National Health System Resource Centre (NHSRC), Technical Support Institution with National Rural Health Mission, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- (2012), Member, Expert Group on Weight age Formulae for Release of Funds to States from the 12th Five Year Plan under the National Rural Health Mission, set up by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- (2011), Expert Consultant for Health Financing to the High-level Expert Group on Universal Health Coverage, constituted by the Planning Commission, Government of India.
- (2009), Part of deliberations of Expert Group Meeting of National Health Accounts 2004-05, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Examiner, M. Phil. Dissertation on “Effect of Health Care Facilities on Health Status: A State-level Analysis for India”, JNU.