- 5th Biennial High-level Meeting of the Development Cooperation Forum (DCF), July 21, 2016
- Conference on Economics and Politics of Local Governments: The Indian Experience
- 11th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development
- NCAER Seminar: The World Bank’s India Development Update 2015: Fiscal Policy for Equitable Growth, November 2015
- IGEG Conference, October 2015
- Present State of Goods and Services Tax (GST) Reform in India, Canberra, August 2015
- New Rules for New Horizons: Reshaping Finance for Stability, Paris, July 2015
- The New Development Bank: Identifying Strategic and Operational Priorities, New Delhi, June 2015
FICCI-Govt of Odisha Meeting on Odisha Mining & Steel: Ushering Next Era of Growth for Mineral based Industries, September 9, 2016
Dr. Lekha Chakraborty, faculty of NIPFP participated as a speaker in the technical session of the conference titled "Odisha Mining & Steel: Ushering Next Era of Growth for Mineral based Industries", organized by FICCI along with the Department of Mining, Government of Odisha, on September 9th, 2016 at Hotel Swosti Premium, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. The session was moderated by Sh. Manab Majumdar, Assistant Secretary General, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry and chaired by Shri N K Nanda, Director (Technical), NMDC Limited and Co-Chair, FICCI Mining Committee.
The conference was attended by government officials, policy makers, industrial leaders and potential investors and provided a platform to discuss and disseminate knowledge regarding new mining rules framed under the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Act, 2015 and Mineral Concession Rules 2016 and economic growth.
Shri Prafulla Kumar Mallik, MoS, Steel and Mines, inaugurated the event. Chanakya Chaudhary, Tata Steel; RK Sharma, Principal Secretary, Steel and Mines Department; and Dr. NK Nanda, Director (Technical), NMDC Limited and FICCI Mining Committee; Sanjeev Das, Senior Vice-President, Indian Metals & Ferro Alloys Ltd and Chair - Mining Panel, Odisha State Council and Artatrana Das, Director, Directorate of Geology, Government of Orissa spoke at the inaugural session of the conference.
Read media coverage of the programme is here.
Dr. Chakraborty has written a number of papers on Mining in India: (2016), "Cashing in on Mining: The Political Economy of Mining Regulations and Fiscal Policy Practices in India", NIPFP Working Paper No. 161. Available at http://www.nipfp.org.in/publications/working-papers/1749/; (2015), "Economic Policy for Revival of Mining", Working Papers, eSocialSciences. Available at http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pch589.htm; (2014), "Revival of Mining Sector in India: Analysing Legislations and Royalty Regime", NIPFP Working Paper No. 129, Available at http://www.nipfp.org.in/publications/working-papers/1698/; and (2014), "Revival of Mining Sector in India: Analysing Legislations and Royalty Regime", in The Malcolm Adiseshaiah Mid-Year Review of the Indian economy, 81-105. Available at www.ncaer.org/free-download.php?pID=237.