M. Govinda Rao
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 26569303 Ext - 107
Dr. M. Govinda Rao was a Member of the Fourteenth Finance Commission (2013-14). Prior to that, he was the Director, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (2003-13), Director, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore (1998- 2002), and Fellow, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. He was a Member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (2004-2013), Member of Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission (FSLRC); Member, High Level Expert Committee on Universal Health Coverage; Member, High Level Expert Committee on Efficient Management of Public Expenditure. His research interests include, tax policy and reforms, public expenditure management, state and local finance, fiscal decentralization and federalism.
- (2017), "Public Finance in India in the Context of India’s Development", NIPFP Working Paper No. 219
- (2017), "The Effect of Intergovernmental Transfers on Public Services in India", NIPFP Working Paper No. 218
- (2017), "Evolving Landscape of Indian Fiscal federalism and Institutional Challenges: Reinventing the Role of the Finance Commission", Pai Sudha, Constitutional and Democratic Institutions in India, Orient Blackswan Private Limited (forthcoming).
- (2017), "Budget 2017-18: Business as Usual", Economic and Political Weekly, LII(9), (March 4).
- (2017), "Budget 2017-18: Business as Usual", NIPFP Working Paper No. 191
Membership in committees and commissions
Member, Executive Council – Takshashila Institution, Bangalore.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, Mangalore University.